March 08, 2021 1 Comment
1. Final Straw. Emily Rose Cohen started her brand to help fight a simple problem: plastic straws. If you can’t function without your morning iced coffee—but also need something to sip it with—we recommend this reusable, collapsible straw.
2. Bee's Wrap. Looking to reduce your plastic waste? So is Sarah Kaeck. Her reusable food wrap is made in Vermont from natural ingredients like beeswax, organic cotton, organic jojoba oil, and tree resin. Start with this three-pack and never look back.
3. PiperWai. Sarah Ribner and Jess Edelstein created a cruelty-free deodorant that combines natural ingredients like activated charcoal and coconut oil with serious results. Revamp your self-care routine with this vegan formula.
4. OBIA Naturals. Let your hair act naturally. OBIA products are vegan and perfect for naturally textured hair. Bonus: the company’s founder is a trained chemist, and her products are made without sulfates, parabens, mineral oil, petroleum, phthalates, DEA, synthetic colors, or drying alcohols. We’re especially in love with this argan oil.
If you're into health and wellness...
1. 8Greens. These effervescent tablets are made with eight different veggies, and help fuel your day with nutrients and antioxidants such as vitamin B5, B6, B12, vitamin C, and zinc. Buy them here.
2. Three Wishes Cereal. Most cereal is filled with not-so-healthy ingredients. So together with her husband, Margaret Wishingrad created Three Wishes, an indie cereal brand with real taste… and without any wheat, corn, rice, dairy, oats, or peanuts. Try their honey flavor for a sweet start to your day.
3. nutpods. a non-dairy coffee creamer made with almonds and coconut cream. Oui recommend French Vanilla for your morning brew.
4. Just Date Syrup. Made from a single ingredient—Medjool dates—this syrup is as sweet as its founder, Sylvie Charles. It’s the perfect addition to your morning coffee, tea, or oatmeal. Get a two-pack here.
5. nerdbugs. Introducing the cutest science lesson you’ll ever have. Made by Dr. Ronak Mehta to help kids learn about their bodies, these stuffies combine biology and adorable vibes for maximum fun. Have a heart (or lungs or a spine) here.
If you want your purchases to give back...
1. Cora. Made from 100% cotton, these feminine hygiene products were created by Molly Hayward to help provide pads and health education to women in underserved communities worldwide. Buy your first box here.
2. LuminAID. Lighten up! These collapsible lanterns are great for campfires or cozy late-night reading… and through LuminAid’s Get Light, Give Light program, founders Anna Stork and Andrea Sreshta distribute lanterns to families in need. Buy them here.
3. KarmaLit. Founder Sejal Parag set out to create soy candles that smell good and do good, with a portion of proceeds going to helping teachers pay for school supplies. Check out this candle that smells like an autumn forest.
4. n:Philanthropy. Kindness is always in style—and so are these clothes. Founded by Yvonne Niami, n:Philanthropy makes chic basics and donates 10% of net proceeds to pediatric cancer research and animal welfare. Invest in their cool black v-necks here.
If you’re looking for your next big idea…
1. Naomi Klein. She’s an award-winning journalist and an expert on climate change, capitalism, and how to make better buys for the planet. Check out her latest, This Changes Everything.
2. Alex Aster. Love historical magic and modern girls? Get psyched for Alex’s novel, Curse of The Night Witch, inspired by the Colombian folk tales told by her abuela. Preorder the Young Adult adventure here.
3. Kennedy Ryan. She’s a bestselling author for a reason. With strong women at the center of Kennedy’s stories, we think you’ll love her as much as we do. Give her Kingmaker series a try here.
Nubian Honey Herbals ~health & wellness sanctuary catered to the Femme
Embody Candles ~all natural soy candles and wax melts that look so good you won't even want to burn them!
Art Prints by Jen Fountain ~one of a kind Grateful Dead inspired art. Makes for the best cards/gifts
LunaLumi's Witch Shop of Magickal Goodies ~all the ritual tools you'll ever need.
Founded by NYC-based mixed media artist, Aziza Nicole.
UK-based artist Dorcas Magbadelo opened an Etsy store in 2015 to share her art and illustrations. Now you can buy everything from tote bags to wall art via her online shop.
Valerie Nethery handcrafts each piece of fine jewelry in her Seattle-based collection. And besides being an artist, she’s an environmental scientist with deep knowledge of all her materials.
Founder Cashmere Nicole built this $5 million brand while battling breast cancer and raising her daughter on her own; we’re especially obsessed with her palettes inspired by ice cream.
Myleik Teele founded curlBOX to help women find products that work for them, by allowing them to try several different creams and conditioners for the price of one.
Created by Rihanna, Fenty Beauty is all about inclusive beauty, and has foundation shades for 50 different skin tones.
Trinity Mouzon Wofford created Golde to make wellness more accessible to women of color—and in the process, made herself the youngest Black woman to launch a line in Sephora.
The Lip Bar
After getting turned down by Shark Tank investors, Melissa Butler kept creating “makeup that doesn’t need a masters degree” in her kitchen until she eventually launched her line in Target. (Take that, Mr. Wonderful!)
Pat McGrath Labs
Tested backstage at Prada and Versace, this makeup range is by master artist Pat McGrath.
Niambi Cacchioli is an academic-turned-beauty-
Born in Nigeria and best known for her super-successful beauty launch at Ulta Beauty, Sharon Chuter has bold, long-lasting formulas that have won fans worldwide.
Owner Jeannine A. Cook named her store after Harriet Tubman, and made this indie bookstore’s mission to spotlight female artists, authors, and activists.
The Lit. Bar
Owner Noëlle Santos runs The Lit. Bar, aka the only indie bookstore in the Bronx, which features books by New York authors and also doubles as a wine bar.
Based in Los Angeles, Reparations Club is a “concept shop and creative space” owned by former NYLON and Teen Vogue editor Jazzi McGilbert. Read her book club picks here.
The only Black female-owned indie bookstore in Chicago, Semicolon Bookstore is led by Danielle Mullen, who created the space to double as an art gallery.
Aurora James founded Brother Vellies by fusing sustainable African artistry with cool-girl aesthetics.
Created in New York by Carly Cushnie, this label famous for its curve-skimming gowns has been worn worldwide by everyone from Michelle Obama and Reese Witherspoon to Amal Clooney and Emma Stone.
Folake Kuye Huntoon has been designing for more than 10 years, perfecting a style that’s unique but versatile, and perfect for everyday outfits.
Founded by Raven Nichole to provide better representation for the Black community, the label makes tees, hoodies, lifestyle items, and this iconic Black Lives Matter sweatshirt.
Camille at the Wheel
This artist creates gorgeous pottery “with a bent toward beautiful utility,” so you can have a soup bowl that’s the perfect size and pretty, too!
Founder and lead formulator Angela Richardson believes in using natural, non-toxic, eco-friendly ingredients to make better soaps, detergents, and cleaning sprays... and we believe in supporting her business.
“I've seen women insist on cleaning everything in the house before they could sit down to write... and you know it's a funny thing about housecleaning... it never comes to an end. Perfect way to stop a woman. A woman must be careful to not allow over-responsibility (or over-respectability) to steal her necessary creative rests, riffs, and raptures. She simply must put her foot down and say no to half of what she believes she "should" be doing. Art is not meant to be created in stolen moments only.” -Clarissa Pinkola Estés, Women Who Run With The Wolves
“A witch, first and foremost, is a woman in her power. It’s about being a woman who can recognize, navigate, claim, trust and use her Goddess-given powers of creativity and manifestation, her vision, her intuition and foresight, her rhythms and cyclic nature and her ability to experience FULLY the dark to serve the light. And she does it to heal not only herself, but her family, her community and ultimately, the world.”
― Lisa Lister,
"There's something so special about a woman who dominates in a man's world. It takes a certain grace, strength, intelligence, fearlessness, and the nerve to never take no for an answer." -Rhianna
"I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own." -Audre Lorde
“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
"I think transwomen, and transpeople in general, show everyone that you can define what it means to be a man or woman on your own terms. A lot of what feminism is about is moving outside of roles and moving outside of expectations of who and what you're supposed to be to live a more authentic life." -Laverne Cox
“The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it.” – Roseanne Barr
“We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back. We call upon our sisters around the world to be brave – to embrace the strength within themselves and realize their full potential. ” – Malala Yousafzai
Comments will be approved before showing up.
September 09, 2021
April 19, 2021